Friday, June 26, 2009

Atheism is not a religion or belief system

ATHEISM exists without a value system at least as I view it. Personally to be an atheist is to NOT be superstitious. That's NOT what I believe, it's what I don't believe based on my system of moral and intellectual virtues.
My personal Code of Behavior is much influenced by Aristotle, early atheist philosopher, he didn't believe in the gods and superstitions of his day and culture either.

Aristotle believed that everything has a purpose, a greater Good. He said "Eudaimonia" is the good for a person. Eudaimonia, which he defined as pleasure or happiness, is the supreme goal of human life, Eudaimonia' is the end goal or purpose behind everything we do as people, and is desired for its own sake. Each one of us defines his own personal Eudaimonia. It is a state attained in a human lifetime. Your rewards are Here and Now! No after life, no sky ghost value systems and rules.

Within that context Aristotle developed a code of moral virtues that are cultivated through habit or practice and intellectual virtues, the qualities of the developed mind, the infinite potential of Man. Each one of us balances and weighs these two sets of virtues. This allows us each to make our own choice of the responses to the situations life throws at us but it doesn't require everyone to do the same thing.

Each Man defines his Nirvana and attains it via a path that each Man defines. You will find there is literally no thing I am absolutely against. I'm a Situational Ethicist, for me there can be no absolute good or evil. As a rationalist I can provide a justification for any behavior in some possible situation.  No action exists without relation to other things.I don't accept morals as values that are universally valid, and thus there can be no such thing as SIN.

That's a belief system, that I am an atheist and godless are a sub-components of that. My values come from me - not myths and superstitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment